Films/ Movies of Dr. Rajkumar
Dr. Rajkumar started his career as a dramatist with his father in a troupe led by Gubbi Veeranna. There, he learned all his acting and singing skills. During his career on stage he became famous for his role as Arjuna.
Bedara Kannapa was his first movie in the lead role. He made the first independent Kannada movie called “Ranadheera Kantheerava” exclusively with pure Kannada technicians and cast, and succeeded in a big way. The same event marked the emergence of the Kannada Cinema industry as an independent entity separate from other south Indian cinema industries.
Dr. Rajkumar was also one of the most versatile actors in Indian cinema. His character depictions ranged from comedy to action, from lover to double/triple roles, from mythological characters to portrayal of modern day social causes. He acted with the most popular heroines in southern Indian cinema, such as Kannada’s Pandaribai, Leelavathi, Jayanti, Bharati, Arati, , Jayaprada, Madhavi, Geetha, Sarita and others from neighbouring states. He acted with many directors of the south Indian cinema from B.R. Pantulu, Puttanna Kanagal to Shankar Nag and Nagabharana. He was known for only acting in Kannada movies, even though he got many offers from different movie industries in India. Actors who have acted with him considered it an achievement of their lifetime. Prithviraj Kapoor acted in the movie Saakshatkara in the role of Dr. Rajkumar’s father.
In his lifetime, Dr. Rajkumar acted in 206 Kannada movies, excluding the guest appearances. He had a film production company called Vajreshwari Combines. Bhagyada Bagilu was his 100th movie and Devatha Manushya was his 200th movie. He was also well trained in Yoga and horse riding. At his peak he is said to have worked out for 3 hours and practised pranayama, a form of meditation, every day.
Two of his most famous performances were in his own productions – Kaviratna Kalidasa and Shankar Guru. He produced movies based on famous Kannada novels. He was ably supported by his friend and script writer Chi.Udayashankar. He chose stories which usually had a social message for the audience. He also made many movies against social evils. One such movie is Shabdavedi which is against the evil of drugs.
He never smoked a cigar/cigarette or acted as an alcoholic in any of his movies (excepting a few in the initial days of his film career). In real life too, he was a non-smoker and non-alcoholic and maintained a very high standard of living, performing daily Yogasanas and following a strict diet. Though he had numerous chances to try his hand at Indian politics owing to his mass following, he shied away from active politics focussing his energy towards art and cinema.
His most memorable films include Bedara Kannappa, Bangarada Manushya, Kastoori Nivasa, Sri Krishnadevaraya, Kula Gowrava, Gandhada Gudi, Sampathige Sawal, Shankar-Guru, Babruvahana, Bhakta Prahalada, Halu Jenu, Bhagyada Lakshmi Baramma, Jeevana Chaitra, Akasmika, Premada Kanike, Vasantha Geetha, Apoorva Sangama, Daari Tappida Maga, Badavara Bandhu, Yeradu Kanasu, Mayura, Bangaradha Panjara, Havina Hede, Anuraga Aralithu, Jedara Bale, Shruti Seridaga, “Sanaadi Apanna”, “Babruvahana”, “Chalisuva Modagalu”, “Guri”, “Parashuram”, “Devathaa Manushya”(200th film), “Huliya Haalina Mevu”, “Kavirathna Kalidasa” and many others.
- 1954: Bedara Kannappa
- 1955: Sodari
- 1956: Bhakta Vijaya; Hari Bhakta; Ohileshwara
- 1957: Rayara Sose; Sati Nalayini
- 1958: Anna Thangi; Bhukailasa; Shri Krishna Garudi
- 1959: Abba A Hudugi; Dharma Vijaya; Jagajyothi Basaveshwara; Mahishasura Mardini
- 1960: Ranadheera Kanteerava; Ashasundari; Bhakta Kanakadasa; Dashavtara; Rani Honamma
- 1961: Bhakta Cheta ; Kaivara Mahatme
- 1962: Bhoodana; Devasundari; Galigopura; Karuneye Kutembada Kannau; Mahatma Kabir; Swarna Gauri; Tejaswini; Vidhi Vilasa
- 1963: Nanda Deepa; Saaku Magalu ; Kanya Ratna; Gauri; Jeevana Taranga; Malli Maduve; Kulavadhu; Kalitharu Henne; Veera Kesari; Valmiki; Mana Mechhida Madadi; Chandrakumara; Santa Tukaram; Shri Ramanjaneyayuddha; Sati Shakti
- 1964: Navakoti Narayana; Chandavalliya Tota; Shivarathri Mahatme; Annapurna; Tumbidakoda; Shivagange Mahatme; Muriyada Mane; Pratigne; Naandi
- 1965: Naga Pooja; Chandrahasa; Sarvagna Murthy; Vatsalya; Satya Harishchandra; Mahasati Ansuya; Ide Mahasudina; Bettada Huli; Sati Savitri; Maduve Madi Nodu; Pativrata
- 1966: Mantralaya Mahatme; Kathari Veera; Balanagamma; Thoogu Deepa; Prema Mayi; Kilsadi Ranga; Madhu Malathi; Emme Thammanna; Mohini Bhasmasura (K); Shri Kannika Parameshwari Kathe; Sandhya Raga
- 1967: Parvathi Kalyana; Sati Sukanya; Gange Gauri; Rajashekara; Lagna Patrika; Raiadurgada Rahasya; Devara Gedda Manava; Bangarada Hoovy; Chakra Teertha; Immadi Pulkesi
- 1968: Jedara Bale; Gandhinagara; Mahasati Arundhati; Manasakshi; Sarvamangala; Bhagya Devate; Bangalore Mail; Hennele chiguridaaga; Bhagyada Bagilu; Natasarva Bhowma; Rowdy Ranganna; Dhumaketu; Amma; Simha Swapna; Goadalli CID 999; Manninamaga
- 1969: Margadarshi; Gandondu Hennaru; Mallammana Pavada; Punarjanma; Bhale Raja; Uyyale Churi Chikanna; Mayor Muthanna; Operation Jackpot; Chikamma;
- 1970: Shri Krishnadevaraya; Karulina Kare ; Nadina Bhagya ; Hasiru Thorana; Bhoopathiranga ; Mr Rajkumar; Bhale Jodi; CID Rajanna; Nanna Thamma; Balu Belagithu; Devara Makkalu; Paropakari
- 1971: Kasturi Nivasa; Bala Bandhana; Kulagaurava; Namma Samsara; Kasidre Kailasa; Thayi Devaru; Pratidhwani; Sakshatkara; Nyayave Devaru; Shri Krishna Rukmini Satyabhama; Sipayi Ramu
- 1972: Janma Rahasya; Bangarada Manushya; Haridayasangama; Krantiveera; Bhale Huchcha ; Nanda Gokula; Jaga Mechida Maga
- 1973: Devaru Kotta Thangi; Bidugade; Swayamvara; Doorada Betta; Gadhadagudi; Muruvare Vajragalu; Bangarada Panjara
- 1974: Eradu Kanasu; Sampathige Saval; Bhakta Kumbhara; Shri Srinivasa Kalyana
- 1975: Dari Tappida Maga; Mayura; Trimurthi
- 1976: Premada Kanika; Bahaddur Gandu ; Raja Nanna Raja; Na Ninna Mareyalare; Badavara Bandhu
- 1977: Babruvahana; Bhagyavantharu; Sanadhi Appanna; Olavu Geluvu; Girikanye
- 1978: Shankar Guru; Operation Diamond Rocket; Thayige Thakka Maga
- 1979: Huliya Halina Mevu; Nanobba Kalla
- 1980: Ravichandra; Vasantha Geethe
- 1981: Havina Hedde; Nee Nanna Gellalaare; Bhagyavantha; Keralida Simha
- 1982: Hosa Belaku; Halu Jenu; Chalisuva Modagalu
- 1983: Kavirathna Kalidasa; Kamana Billu ; Bhakta Prahalada; Eradu Nakshatragalu
- 1984: Samayada Gombe; Shravana Bantu; Yarivanu; Apoorva Sangama
- 1985: Ade Kannu; Jwalamukhi; Dhruva Tare; Bhagyada Lakshmi Baramma
- 1986: Anuraaga Aralitu; guri
- 1987: Ondu Muthina Kathe; Shruti Seridaga
- 1988: Shiva Mecchida Kannappa; Devatha Manushya
- 1992: Jeevana Chaitra
- 1993: Akasmika
- 1994: Odahuttidavaru ; Gandhada Gudi II